Monday, July 21, 2014

Elder "McAlister" Squared?

Sounds like Elder McAlister is doing great in his new area of Chiguayante, which is about 25 miles south east of his last area.  His new companion is from Chile, they are in a house with 4 Elders, and they baptism coming up this week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola como están,

I am so glad to hear from you guys this week! I had a pretty good week and I can’t believe how fast it is going by. I have to say that Jessica and Derek´s new TV looks pretty cool and I feel like technology has really passed by my mind. Brooke you need to stop working out because you are getting pretty big! So STOP IT!!! (HaHa) no it’s just a joke. I can actually see dad falling at the beginning of the hike and I hope you didn't get hurt too bad. Mom I really miss your cooking! (HaHa)

This last week was really interesting! I got to Chiguayante on Tuesday in the morning and I met my companion and he seemed to be really shy when I met him. To answer the question from mom, we all have to go to the bus terminal and that’s were we meet our new companion.  We went to the house and it’s a pretty nice house we have about 3 rooms, a kitchen, 2 bathrooms (but only one shower works) and a living room. So this house is a lot bigger then my last one. My companion is Elder Letelier and he is from Viña, Chile. He is really shy and he is very interesting, but we will see how this week goes. We are having a little bit of a rough start because he feels like he should be the senor companion. I have learned patients in my mission.  

Elder Hoopes is living in my house and he is training a new Elder from Utah. The funny thing is his name is Elder McAllister, so you can imagine that we have been doing some jokes in the ward with our names. I am Elder McAlister number 1 and he is Elder McAlister 2. I have really liked being in the same house with Elder Hoopes and Elder McAllister. We have been having a good time in the house!

Here in Chiguayante we will be having a baptism this week and his name is Isau. He is an older man and he is awesome and we have been teaching him a lot this last week. We are also teaching an ex soccer player that played for the selection of Chile in Holland! His name is Ricardo and he seems to be really cool. But we need to find more investigators here because we don’t have that much here. Chiguayante is pretty rich compared to my last sector and a lot of people have cars here. They have big houses here and a little bit of a yard (Crazy). So far I really like it here and its really nice. 

I want to share a spiritual thought with you guys this week and it’s from the Book of Mormon. I was reading in Nephi and it’s amazing the example that he is for us. He has so many afflictions and trails, but he is always showing that he is faithful to the Lord. When I was reading I was thinking about if we really have our hearts in the work of the lord! When I was reading in 1 Nephi I thought about Laman and Lemuel. How they did everything that Nephi did. They helped build the boat, they went back for the bronze plates and they followed their father into the wilderness. The difference between Nephi and Laman, Lemuel is that Nephi had faith in the Lord at all times and he did everything that he was told, with a desire in his heart. We need to be like Nephi and have the faith and the desire in our hearts at all times looking forward at all times. The Lord truly loves us and wants the best for us. 

Well I hope you guys have a great week and I love you all. Take care and don’t do anything crazy! Miss you guys and have fun!

Love you guys!!!

Elder McAlister

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week’s spiritual thought I shared with Elder McAlister was short, but I really loved this quote by President Monson in a talk called "The Savior's Call to Serve".  He says:

"The mantle of membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a cloak of comfort but rather a robe of responsibility. Our duty, in addition to saving ourselves, is to guide others to the celestial kingdom of God."

That quote really hit me in so many ways. Not only am I responsible for myself, but my whole family, and all those whom I serve in my calling, and those I could be sharing the Gospel with through missionary work. I think I wear the cloak to often and not the robe.  Something I really need to work on. Sean is being a great example for this principle to me with his missionary service to the people in Chile.

Until next week be safe everyone, have a great week and enjoy these picture Sean sent today, unfortunately he did not provide names of all the families in these pictures he took as he was leaving his old area of Hualpencillo.  The last two pictures are from his new area.













Elder McAlister, Elder Letelier, Elder McAllister and Elder Hoopes.

Elder McAlister and Elder Letelier enjoying some Papa Johns pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment