Monday, June 29, 2015

In the service of others



Great to hear from Elder McAlister today.  He has one month left in his mission as of today, which is hard to believe.

It sounds like they are working hard and are finding some success, but have a lot of work to do with their ward members. The service he and Elder Chavez we able to give to the little old women he describes makes me happy he is in the service of the lord at this time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys,

What’s up my family! How are you guys all doing? I am so happy to hear everyone had a good week. Sounds like everyone had a pretty exciting week and I am happy to hear all is well. Sorry to hear about the van and are you guys thinking about buying a new car? Buy a jeep ;) I’m just kidding! It really sounds like it’s getting really hot over there and I’m over here freezing (HaHa), but all is well here!

Well this week was crazy and I really can’t believe how fast it went by! We are working a ton and I am trying to help Elder Chavez the best I can. Elder Chavez and I have been working with all of the organizations of our ward to help them progress. Our ward has dropped down to about 50 people going to church now, and we use to be around 100 people. A lot of the members are criticizing and just leaving the church and nobody wants to visit anyone. So we are working double time in that. Even though the attendance is bad, we are trying to bring it back up. All the leaders are struggling so we are working with them. 

Manuel we thought that we were going to kill him for about a week (mission wise), but he ended up calling us and we had a really good lesson with him and now he is going to be baptized this week if he can pass the baptism interview on Friday. We found out that he was scared that we wouldn’t be able to visit him after his baptism and that’s why he skipped the interview the last week. But he’s on track for the 4 of July. 

We also had a really good lesson with a young man called Leonardo, he is 19 years of age. He is really cool and he really wants to get closer to god. So we had a really good lesson and he left the week end, but he is willing to be baptized, it’s pretty cool. This week we really ended up walking quite a bit and our bodies are gone. We are so sore and tired, but we got to keep on pushing on through.  

This week something really got to me! We went to an area in our sector and we entered into a house of this little old women. Her house was made out of wood, and it was all bent and had holes in it. She has a dirt floor and just one sofa and a bowl of water and a little one stove cooking thing that we would use for camp outs and she was covered in dirt looked like she hasn't showered in a long time. We had the opportunity to serve her and help strengthen her house so it would not be as cold during the day and at night. I can’t really explain all that we did for her in an email, but I really just felt so grateful for all the things I have in this life and really I have gotten to see the changes that the gospel has made in the lives of other people! 

Today I got my flight schedule and that kind of scared me, and then dad mentioned it also. I really can’t believe that I am so old in the mission and that time really does fly by! You guys don't need to worry about me because we are really working hard here in Chillan! So i will be focused until the end of my mission!

I thought that I would share a scripture with you guys because this week I was reading Alma 37 and it by far one of the chapters that I like in the Book of Mormon. I would like you guys to read it. It really got to me and I love it. 
  
Well here we are almost in the month of July and I really don’t know how I feel about it. I will write you guys next week, and I can’t wait to hear from you. I hope that you have a good week and that all goes well and all is safe. I love you guys a ton!

Elder McAlister 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual thought time! This week comes for President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk "The Gift of Grace", from April 2015 Conference. He was talking of Christ Atonement when he said this:
"Salvation cannot be bought with the currency of obedience; it is purchased by the blood of the Son of God."

"The Savior’s Atonement cannot become commonplace in our teaching, in our conversation, or in our hearts. It is sacred and holy, for it was through this “great and last sacrifice” that Jesus the Christ brought “salvation to all those who shall believe on his name.”

This is why in Jacob’s words, “Why not speak of the atonement of Christ, and attain to a perfect knowledge of him?” On Sean’s mission as he talks of Christ, … rejoices in Christ, … preaches of Christ” at every opportunity, he helps others to never lose our sense of awe and profound gratitude for the eternal sacrifice of the Son of God. It's a debt I in no way can fully comprehend, but am so thankful for.

Well that's another week passed, and here are a few pictures from Chillan to enjoy.  Looks like they are enjoying a little American food... 

Elder McAlister and Elder Miller

Elder Chavez enjoying some American food. Two burgers, two fries and two drinks each...these guys are hungry! They went to McDonalds when they were in Concepcion for a conference.

McElder McAlister

Elder McAlister is 11th on the list of the missionaries returning home on July 28th. He saw this at the "Trunky Training" conference all Elders in the Concepcion Mission go to during their last transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment