Monday, December 30, 2013

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!‏

It was a great Christmas last week because we got to Skype with Sean for 2 hours!  It was fun to be able to hear some of his stories and experiences.  He looks and sounds healthy and even though things can be tough on a mission, he always has a good attitude, and looks for the positives. 

He seems to like his new area, and his new companion.  There is a lot of work to do in the area finding people to teach, which he mentions multiple times in his email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

It was awesome to talk and see you guys on Christmas. You guys look like you’re doing well and had a great Christmas. I forgot how our house looks, but it looks really good. Looks like Sabrina had a good Christmas and Tillie sounds like Tillie. I love the picture that Brooke sent me of Tillie (haha) she is so lazy. I forgot to say happy anniversary for Jessica and Derek, but looks like you guys had a good time at the Roof. So happy late anniversary!!! Yeah 1 year!!!

After I talked to you guys, we went over to the family Novoa and they forgot about the dinner. We didn't want to remind them about it, so we just shared a message and left. So the rest of Christmas we just went walking around contacting and we went to some of the member’s house which was okay. That was pretty much my Christmas, it’s like a normal day of work. The only difference is I got to talk to you guys. I got to enjoy my food in the night which I loved. 

The day right after was like Christmas never even happened. So I have decided that I like Utah Christmas´s much better. Honestly this week we just search and search and search for new people. We have found a few but I don't think any of them are promising and we have only had one or two lessons with them. A funny story happened about two days after Christmas. We are out contacting and this one house just lets us in and we are thinking sweet a baptism! Within 5 minutes we find out he is a preacher of the Evangelico Church (I don't remember what the word for Evangelico is in English). He starts to yell at us, telling us to repent because we have sinned. So my companion just says thank you for your time, here is a picture of Jesus, which is one of our pass along cards. Then he says you know what we will just pass by a different day. The preacher was going crazy and yelling at us. I thought that we were going to die (haha). 

Another story, so in our sector we have a really poor area and a lot of people don't like Americans that much, which is a problem for me! This last Saturday we are going through this area contacting. There are a couple of guys walking towards us, and they look like they think they are all that kind of group. Well turns out they really don't like me, because one of them spits on me. Now I want to punch him and my companion doesn't know what to do. All I could do was say thanks and we walk away from them. Now I almost showed my American Karate Kid moves that Mr. Miyagi taught me, but he is lucky that I’m a missionary. It wasn't fun, or what I ever want to happen to me. But hey its part of the mission. 

Something funny, but super gross. Someone asked me on Christmas what is the worst thing I have eaten here and I told you guys the Mote with something. But this week we had a thing called pan pudding (bread pudding). I thought I have had this before, and I’m like cool I want some. The lady takes some pan puts it in boiling water and puts some sugar and mayonnaise in it. I’m sitting there watching her with my jaw open thinking I’m going to throw up and thinking her poor kids are eating nasty food. I totally forgot I was going to be eating it. After 2 hours of pure torture I finished it and was sick for the rest of the day. It was the worst thing in my life I have ever eaten!

Most of our time right now goes to contacting and searching for some new people. We have put some time in with the less actives in the Ward and they are doing really good now. It’s just we need to find people to teach and this population is hard to find people!!! 

I love you guys, and thanks for everything that you guys sent me for Christmas, it really showed me how cool my family is. I hope you guys will have a good New Year party and make some good goals. I will be in my bed sleeping when New Year’s happens. I love you guys. Thanks for your love and support 

Love 

Elder McAlister

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual thought shared with Sean this week is based on something I read to do with Christmas. I was reading a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf called "You Can Do It Now!", and he said:

"We have a champion, a Savior, who walked through the valley of the shadow of death on our behalf. He gave Himself as a ransom for our sins. No one has ever had greater love than this—Jesus Christ, the Lamb without blemish, willingly laid Himself on the altar of sacrifice and paid the price for our sins to 'the uttermost farthing.' He took upon Himself our suffering. He took our burdens, our guilt upon His shoulders."


It’s incredible to think of what our Savior has done for us!  Until next week, everyone have a great New Year, and enjoy the latest video and set of pictures from Sean…







Not sure what Sean is doing, but the little space behind him is their kitchen!



Dinner with some members



House they tracted into...the poverty can be amazing sometimes.






Treat from his Christmas package!



Hualpencillo, Chile



Elder McAlister with Hualpencillo, Chile in the background.



Elder Coronado



The dog is alive, just taking a siesta.



Elder McAlister with Hualpencillo, Chile in the background.



Superman taking off in flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment