Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fiestas Patrias week!

Sorry this is a little late getting posted. I have been feeling under the weather the few days.  Elder McAlister learned some valuable lessons from a Zone Leader, and with it being the Chilean Independence last week it sounds like they ate well.  We are going to have to try some empanadas, as Sean suggests.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

Oh it’s good to hear from you guys! Sounds like it was a fun week and everyone is okay. I totally forgot that Halloween is so close (HaHa), but I really like the mask and Sabrina looks scary (HaHa). Sounds like so many things are changing at home. Also, sounds like the dedication of the Ogden Temple was really cool and the temple looks amazing. Glad to hear that mom had a good week and work was a little bit nicer last week. To answer mom’s question, it was an experience that was very cool and I will never forget it. Dad I hope that you have an amazing birthday this week and I want you to know that you’re the best dad ever and the best example I have in my life.

Cumpleaños feliz, Feliz, Feliz
Te deseamos a ti, a ti, a ti
Feliz cumpleaños papá,
Que los cumplas feliz.
 

Have a great birthday party. About the cemetery, it was a service project for all missionaries and all members close to Concepcion, and it was a really cool service project. Jessica sounds like you had a good birthday and keep on being cool (HaHa). Brooke sounds like you just hang out with Luna all day. I hope that everything is going well for you guys in Oklahoma. Sabrina the big bum, you look so much different and you look like you’re having fun. I hope that volleyball and school are fun. I need you to do a favor for me, play with Tillie for me!    

This last week was really good and I learned a ton. We did end up having a ton of success this week even though it was a party week and everyone was gone. We did walk in the streets a lot and we talked to a lot of people, I almost talked to more than 200 people in the street by myself, so we talked to a lot of people this last week. We did end up finding Mirta again, and guess what, she wants to get baptized and she came to church. We are really happy with Mirta and I hope that we can keep on having success. If you guys could pray for Mirta, Nicolas, Patricia, and Johana so that they can progress this week. Thank you guys!!!  

Well I had a mini cambio with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Catrón. I was really nervous because he is very strict. But we had a really good time! I really learned a ton from him and I have changed how I am working since the mini cambio. I learned how to be more direct, but with love. I change my energy as I work. I work as hard as I can until the end of the day and I get to the house exhausted. So I am giving it my all. I learned what I need to do in my sector, for my district and how I can help them. More than anything I need to be the example.   

Here in Chile they are now having Empanadas, BBQ´s and other types of food, in this week of independence, which is different than the United States they celebrate for 4 days and it’s just party, family and party. Theirs a ton of meat, empanadas and alcohol. Well this last week we kind of made a goal to get empanadas from people. So on the 18th, 19th and 20th we were seeing how many empanadas we could receive. On the 18th we only got 2 in total which was kind of sad for us, and the same thing happened the 19th, but on Saturday we ended up receiving 12 Empanadas (HaHa). So this whole week we ate a ton of meat and 16 empanadas and they are so good. Mom you need to make them, I’m guessing they will be a little different but they are so good. 

On the 18th of September we had an activity in the ward and it was awesome. We had a lot of meat, sopipias, people danced and there were games and horses for people to ride. There was a game where you need to throw a metal disc as close to a rope in a mud pit. It’s really fun and there are pictures of it but I can’t remember the name of it. We also did some potato sack racing, and I fell down a ton, but it was still fun. Also there was dancing and karaoke. It was really fun and the sad thing is this will be my only Independence Day in Chile because I got here right after the last one last year! But I loved it. 

I love you guys and I am doing great. I am excited in what I am doing and I can’t believe the time goes by faster every week, I swear I just wrote you guys like three days ago, but no! Have a great week and Dad have a great birthday, I love you a ton and eat some cake for me. I can’t wait to hear from you next week!

Love you and miss you guys!!!  

Elder McAlister

P.S. Send me some goodies!!
Thanks 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual thought time! I thought this is a great thought for Sean to use with investigators and members they are working with. Boyd K. Packer, in his talk "Revelation in a Changing World" said:

    "The Holy Ghost communicates with the spirit through the mind more than through the physical senses. This guidance comes as thoughts, as feelings, through impressions and promptings. It is not always easy to describe inspiration. The scriptures teach us that we may “feel” the words of spiritual communication more than hear them, and see with spiritual rather than with mortal eyes."

 It's so important for those learning the gospel to understand how the Holy Ghost works.  They too often don't know when the spirit is bearing witness to them, because they don't understand how the spirit communicates.  This is such an important thing to teach investigators, and help them recognize when the spirit is there. 


Well, have a great week everyone, and enjoy these pictures from Fiestas Patrias…

Raising the flag at the chapel for Fiestas Patrias.

Dancing at the ward party for Fiestas Patrias.

Horse riding at the ward party for Fiestas Patrias.

Playing "Rayuela", a traditional Chilean game, typically seen outside of Chilean cities but it makes an appearance during the annual fiestas patrias independence celebrations. 
Sean playing Rayuela.

Elder McAlister and Elder Letelier with some Huasos (Chilean cowboys) at the ward party.

The four Elders doing sack races at the ward party,

The four Elders doing sack races at the ward party, with Sean wiping out!

Traditional dances at the ward party for Fiestas Patrias.

Enjoying some food at the ward party.

The Bío Bío River.

Flags flying for Fiestas Patrias.

The empanadas they collected during Fiestas Patrias.

Pizza, Pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment