Monday, September 29, 2014

Biting dogs and a hungry Elder

Great to hear from Elder McAlister today.  Sounds like he had a great week, and a few funny experiences to share.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey McAlister Family,

Thank you everyone for the letters that you guys sent to me. I really enjoyed reading them and I love to hear from you guys. Sounds like dad had a pretty good birthday and I’m sorry that you were sick this last week. I do have to say that I really want to eat some ribs, so that sounds really good to me right now. Congratulations Todd for passing the test and what happens now? Do you just continue in the class? Sounds like Luna is getting out of control and are you working or just chilling in the house? Jessica ate sushi! What is going on back home? How did that happen? But I’m glad that you liked it. Send me a picture of the wreath. Mom glad everything is going well and that tells me that you are taking great care of the yard. Sabrina the next volleyball star sounds like she’s a pro now (HaHa). Love ya little sister 

This last week was really good and really rainy. It pretty much rained every day of the week and I was cold. I really thought that we were going into summer now, but that's a lie. We worked really hard this week to have success and we did pretty good until Sunday came around. Nobody came to church and it was really sad. Mirta went to the hospital on Sunday in the morning, and she couldn't make it to church. We know that she not terribly sick and we will be passing by for her this week a lot. Then the rest of them are getting harder to teach every time. Johana we can only find once in a while and then Nicolas we can only talk over the phone with him because he was working a ton this last week and studying. So it’s kind of a struggle with the investigators that we have in this moment. We did a lot of work with our menos activos this week and we brought 11 to church. We worked really hard with them and we applied the atonement of Jesus Christ in every lesson with them. We had a really good week and I learned a lot. 

Well this week nothing crazy really happened but my companion did end up getting bit in the leg by a really small dog. So here’s what happened. We were contacting some future investigators in a passage way and there are two dogs just in the middle of the street. We pass by the first house and nothing happens, but one of the dogs is barking at us and just seems like he wants to attack us and the other dog is just sitting there quiet and being our friend. We go to contact the neighbor’s house and I talked to them but they didn’t want anything. So we turn around to go and this little nice dog bits my companion’s leg and he acts like he was shot. He was really worried and was limping like he was dying. So I looked at his leg and there was nothing, not a bit mark or blood. So Ii told him not to worry about it. It took me about an hour just to calm him down and now he is really scared of dogs.  But now he thinks it’s funny!

Also Elder Hoopes had a mini cambio this last week and an elder from Canada came to our house and he is a little different. He always tries to do different weird voices and he thinks everything he says is super funny. But he is an awesome missionary and he is pretty smart but he’s just a little weird. It was night and we were in the house eating and the Elder ate a whole box of cereal and two things of pasta and a package of pancakes of Elder Hoopes. Me and Elder McAllister had no idea what to do and he just ate and ate and ate. Then he just acted like nothing happened and we had no idea what we were going to do because he a ton of Elder Hoopes food and after that he started using Elder Hoopes clothes and razor and it just kept on getting worse and worse as time went on. But it was super funny how Elder Hoopes acted after the mini cambio and he was going crazy! It was really funny for us!!!

I really can’t wait for General Conference this week and I can’t believe that this is my third in the mission and how time is flying by. I am not sure if I will watch it in Spanish or English I can’t tell but I am excited. I really can’t tell you guys how fast time is flying by. I feel like a week is 2 days and they are so fast. 

I love you and I can’t wait to hear from you guys next week. You are always in my prayers and I miss you guys. Have a great week and I can’t wait to write you guys next week. Be safe and I love you guys a lot. 

Read Alma 36 because this is my favorite story in the Book of Mormon!!!

Elder McAlister

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Spiritual thought time! In a talk by Robert D. Hales, "Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets", he says:

"We prepare to receive personal revelation as the prophets do, by studying the scriptures, fasting, praying, and building faith. Faith is the key. Remember Joseph’s preparation for the First Vision: “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God. … “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.” By unwavering faith, we learn for ourselves that “it is by faith that miracles are wrought."

What a great lesson.  If even the prophets need to follow these steps, then why shouldn't we.  They give us the example we need to follow.


No pictures this week, so have a great week,

No comments:

Post a Comment