Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Well we heard from Sean today, and the email he sent is below.  We learned a few things other things from emails sent to his sisters. 
  • His companion is Elder Barnes, and he is from Idaho. 
  • Sean has been pretty home sick this week, but that is to be expected with such a big change, and going to another country not understanding the language. 
  • He got to go to the Mexico City Temple (picture at the end of this post) and do a session.
  • He is in the classroom 10 hours a day learning the language and gospel doctrine. He said he can pray and bear his testimony now.
  • They eat a lot of bread and little portions of meat.
  • His P-day is on Tuesdays, so that is when we should get emails from him while in the MTC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Subject: Re: Hello Elder McAlister‏

Hello Mom and Dad,

My first week in the MTC was really hard. At the start I was wondering what I was doing, and why, but then I read Ether 12:27 and it turned all around. Our teacher Hermano Rogers doesn’t speak any English to us and none of the staff does either. So far the Spanish is really killing me.

My companion is Elder Barnes, and he is pretty cool. I was made the District Leader, which is cool, and at the same time not so much. It means a lot more meetings for me and they are all in Spanish. But I would like to say that my Spanish is coming along.

Right now I live in a casa which is pretty cool. The food is okay, but it’s killing a lot of the Elders because it’s mostly straight fiber. We have to have filtered water brought to the MTC.

Mexico outside the safe walls of the MTC sounds crazy! We hear guns shots and sirens all the time. We got to go to the Mexico City Temple today, which was really cool, but really hard because I don’t know Spanish. The driving from the temple and back is still really crazy. I think I would go crazy if I had to drive place to place.

We have been teaching an investigator which is fun but really hard. His name is Jorge, we have to teach him on whatever we chose, or what he wants to hear about. The lessons are all in Spanish and usually last about 20 to 30 minutes. I can’t say I love it here because I just want to get out and go to Chile. I want to thank you guys for all that you have done for me. It really has meant a lot to me, and thank you for all the support that you have given me. I want you guys to know I love you and I miss you a lot.

I love you guys a ton,

Elder McAlister


P.S. (Mom I really miss your cooking and Dad I really miss you) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mexico City Temple:



From Rick: That's it for the blog update this week.  I have made a few changes to the blog by including maps of Sean's mission, his physical and email addresses if you want to write him, a link to information on Chile from Wikipedia by clicking on the Chilean flag, a link to Sean's mormon.org profile, the ability to subscribe to the blog and receive an email when there is a new post and a widget that shows the current weather in Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment