Monday, October 21, 2013

Bikes and Mice!

This weeks email from Elder McAliser has a few funny stories, and news of what sounds like might be their first baptism of Sara Flores on November 2nd!!

Unfortunately, he still hasn't received the package from home we sent a couple weeks ago, so still no pictures this week...let's hope that changes next update.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

Chile is awesome and I’m loving my mission. The language is coming, and right now it seems slow but really I’m learning super fast. I can understand a lot of the conversations and speak in most. The Gospel topic conversations are the easiest for me. I’m glad that I am learning Spanish and can’t wait to speak really well.

Me and Elder Donoso are doing amazing. This last week we just clicked, and we are working really well; it’s like we are best friends. We had a rough start but now we are doing awesome. He is helping me a lot with the language and our planning is so much better now. Elder Donoso is from Cordon, Argentina.

This week we had another mini cambio and I worked with our Zone Leader, Elder Escarate. It was super fun and very helpful; he has only two weeks left of his mission and he says it goes by so fast. During our mini cambio, all the lessons got cancelled so we ended up doing a lot of contacting, which was awesome and now my contacting language is really well. I had to stay the night at Elder Escarate’s house and their house is something else (HaHa). The missionary's in the house are awesome, so it didn't matter to me.

Funny story this week. We have bikes at our house, but they are awful. They have no brakes and pretty flat tires and are just falling apart. We tried them out anyways. So we were riding them and my front tire popped so we had to fix that. Then after that we went taught a lesson and we were riding to the next lesson and Elder Donoso’s back tire popped. We went and found someone who could fix the tire. As you can tell, we had a bad day going already, and we had to hurry to our next lesson because we were super late. Our lessons that we did teach this day went really well. We were running super behind and we needed to get to our church. Elder Donoso cuts through a park and I try to go around this corner and I’m going pretty fast and next thing I know I’m falling and my bike started sliding on dirt. As soon as I stop sliding I just pop up and I make eye contact with a teenage kid who is on the side walk. I yelled esta bien and tried to get back on my bike and ride off, but my chain had fallen off so I get off my bike to fix it. Next thing I know I have about 15 kids around me asking me if I’m okay and getting the dirt off me and in my mind I’m like leave me alone. I got my bike fixed and went as fast as possible to the church. I didn't get hurt or anything. All I got was a small scrap on my ankle and the world’s smallest cut on my hand, but that was super funny.

Another funny story. So this morning I just got out of the shower and I hear Elder Donoso yelling for everyone to come to our study room. So I got my clothes on and went to the study room. I see Elder Donoso and he says there was a mouse in his back pack, and when he opened it, the mouse jumped out and run into one of my shoes. At first I was like no there's not but then he was acting serious so all four of us made a plan of how to get the mouse out of our house. We opened the door to our study room that leads outside. Elder Bueno walks over and picks up my shoe and he says that there is nothing there. All of a sudden a mouse pops out and 4 guys start screaming like little girls and hitting the mouse. We ended up getting it outside, and killing it because we hit it about 100 times. Elder Bueno took my shoe and hit is straight outside and it died. It was so funny and now me and Elder Donoso won’t go into our study room for awhile. I think our neighbors think we are weird because we sounded like little girls screaming while trying to kill it (HaHaHa). Those are two super funny things that happen this week.

In all seriousness we are doing really good, and our investigators are doing great. Sara Flores is looking to be baptized on November 2. I hope that everything is going well for you guys and thanks for your love and support. I want you guys to know this church is true and I love this Gospel. I love you all and thank you for giving me this opportunity of sharing something we all love.

I love you guys!!!

Elder McAlister

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week I leave you with my thought that I shared with Sean from Elder David Bednar from conference talk in the Priesthood session a while back:

“My beloved brethren, you and I, today and always, are to bless all peoples in all the nations of the earth. You and I, today and always, are to bear witness of Jesus Christ and declare the message of the Restoration. You and I, today and always, are to invite all to receive the ordinances of salvation. Proclaiming the gospel is not a part-time priesthood obligation. It is not simply an activity in which we engage for a limited time or an assignment we must complete as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Rather, missionary work is a manifestation of our spiritual identity and heritage. We were foreordained in the premortal existence and born into mortality to fulfill the covenant and promise God made to Abraham. We are here upon the earth at this time to magnify the priesthood and to preach the gospel. That is who we are, and that is why we are here – today and always.”

Until next week when we have another update (and hopefully pictures)....watch out for mice in your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment