Monday, January 12, 2015

Is that hot sauce??

Sounds like training a new missionary is going well, and there were some big changes to how the mission is approaching the work rolled out this week.  Sean finishes up the letter with a funny story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Como están,
I am glad to hear from you guys and I am excited to be writing you guys today. I had a very good week and I got a little sun burn also! Its bacan to hear that everyone is back together in Utah and how is it with everyone living in the house again?  I have had some stories like Derek’s but I have called men houses instead of calling them sir. That’s something I would have to explain another day! What’s everyone doing now and what’s new in the house? I kind of want to know if my car is still in the house or not? I will tell you guys about my week.

Well everything is going really good with Elder Ponce! We are having a lot of fun together and we are learning a lot. He is trying to learn English and he is doing really well at it! He is praying all the time in English. So if he keeps up this progress he will be speaking English in a few months, which is awesome. I am trying to help him learn the mission life, but it is a lot different training someone then just getting a new companion! I like it. 
Teaching wise we are always looking for new people to teach, but it’s not your normal sector. We are in the center of Concepcion, so we have a ton of businesses too. This last week we have been working more with the members and making sure that they are strong. Also with the less active members, because 1 out of every 10 Chilenos is a member of the church. Our mission is to reactivate the less active members. So we have been teaching a lot of less actives and helping them progress in the gospel. We are still working with Thomas and his family but they are progressing slowly. Pray for them please!
Well in a few countries in South America they have changed some things in the mission! The presidency of the area has taken away the key indicators! Basically the numbers that we had to count lessons with members or other lessons taught in the week. So the real new focus is to work with members and help them progress, and then to have them work with us. I really like how we are working now. I feel a little bit freer from numbers and I can really focus on the people! As a mission we should be progressing a ton with the changes they have made!
Funny story for this week, we had a lot of our lunches get cancelled. So we went and bought lunch with the assistants and the office elders. We went to a place called El TATA POLLO. It’s a place where you can buy half a chicken and fries or a salad. It’s a really good place that tastes really good! During lunch, one of the assistants asked for hot sauce and so we sat there looking though all the red bottles to see if they were hot sauce or ketchup. I grabbed a bottle and I squeezed it a little to smell it to know what it was. But something happened were I pushed a little too much or something and I shot hot sauce all over my nose and all over my pants and there was a ton. I can tell you that it really hurts having hot sauce up the nose. The good thing was it happen to be in the middle of a busy restaurant! I felt so dumb! I didn’t have my camera with me, but I did get a picture of my pants and the stain that the hot sauce left. So when I got home I had to clean my pants and get all the hot sauce out my nose! I laughed about it when it happened!
I love you guys a ton and keep on being cool! I am pumped to be here working and it’s amazing! I hope that you guys have a good safe semana and that all goes well. I can’t wait to hear from you guys next week! Love you guys a ton!
Elder McAlister

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spiritual thought time!  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, in his October conference talk "Lord, Is It I?", which was one of my favorites, from last conference said:

"As you hear or read the words of the ancient and modern prophets, refrain from thinking about how the words apply to someone else and ask the simple question: “Lord, is it I?” We must approach our Eternal Father with broken hearts and teachable minds. We must be willing to learn and to change. And, oh, how much we gain by committing to live the life our Heavenly Father intends for us."

This talk really has touched me, and made really think "Lord, is it I?" more often, and think less about what others should be doing.  I think if we all took this attitude, as suggested by President Uchtdorf, we would all be better people and members of the church.  We all need to learn and change our bad habits, and that can only take place with humility and a desire to follow the Lord.

Have a great week everyone!

Elder McAlister and Elder Ponce

No comments:

Post a Comment