Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Some questions Jessica doesn't need to ask!

I’m a day late posting Sean’s email and pictures this week because of a busy Memorial Day with the family yesterday.  Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day for those living in the United States.

Sounds like he and Elder Castro had a great week working with less active members and new investigators.  It will be a shame if he misses Mario’s baptism on the 7th if Sean is transferred out Hualpencillo next week.

I like Sean’s scripture reference, it is a great message to remember.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

It’s great to hear from you guys. I hope that dad is not killing himself with the work from the porch. I also hope that Todd did well on his test. The hail storm sounds crazy and I have heard that there is a lot of tornado´s in the United States right now. Sabrina you can’t grow any taller until I get home! You look like you are so much older in the softball pictures! Plus you guys are killing me talking about BBQ´s!!! They sound so good and it makes my mouth water! Also how it’s getting warm up there! But I´m glad to hear that you guys are okay and that you guys are having a good time!

This last week was really, really good! We got 3 investigators to go to church and we are having great progress with Mario and we are going to change his baptism date to the 7th of June. He is doing great and we found him the perfect friend so it was a great Sunday. We had Alejandra, Luis and their two kids, who we found in the last week, and they came to an activity and to church. They really liked it and we will be working extra hard with them. They need to get married also, but they are awesome and they love to have us over. Teresa wasn't able to come to church this last week, but she is starting to get a testimony of the Book of Mormon. She also has a friend always at her house and he is progressing better than she is, and he now knows the first part of Nephi really good. He is getting a really good testimony of the Book of Mormon and he is feeling the spirit when he is reading. His name is Segundo. So that was our week and it looks like we will have a baptism soon. We also had about 21 less active members in the church this last week and we are working with all of them. So we are doing really well with teaching our less actives. I´m pretty sure that I leave next Tuesday, because we have cambios! So I guess I will be leaving this sector ready for other Elders! Elder Castro and I are getting along great and he is talking a little more, but he is super quite still.

To answer Jessica´s question about bidets. No, we don't have anything like that here in Chile. But the water pressure is really weak here so in every house you have a garbage can right next to the toilet and that's for your used toilet paper. It’s kind of weird but their water pressure is really weak so you can’t put toilet paper in the toilet in some houses! It’s kind of gross but its life!

I thought that I would give you guys a spiritual thought this week! D&C 82:10 and it says:

I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

I love this scripture so much and I have used it a lot in my mission. It says that if we are obedient the Lord is bound to give us blessings. He will give us more blessings then we can imagine in our lives. But if we are disobedient god does not have to give us our blessings! It’s so true! This small Scripture that has 23 words can bless our lives and help us be with the Lord at all times during our life time. 

Well I want you guys to know that I am the missionary and the person I am today because of you guys, my family! I love you guys so much and I hope that you guys have a great week. The weeks fly by really quickly and I am almost at a year. Weird!!! I love you guys and I hope you guys have a great week!

Love you guys!

Elder McAlister

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two related thoughts I shared with Sean this week. First, Russell M. Nelson said:

"The scriptures provide one of the best ways to find our course and stay on it. Scriptural knowledge also provides precious protection.”

Which I know Sean has found to be true based on things he has written home about.

And second, Richard G. Scott said: 

"Encourage those you love to seek to understand what the Lord would have them do. One way to do this is to ask them questions that make them think and then allow them sufficient time—whether hours, days, months, or more—to ponder and seek to work out the answers for themselves. You may need to help them know how to pray and how to recognize answers to their prayers. Help them to know that the scriptures are a vital source of receiving and recognizing answers. In that way you will help them prepare for future opportunities and challenges."

That is great advice for Sean as a missionary, for those he is teaching, and for all of us every day learning more about the Gospel. The more any of us know, and strengthen our testimonies, the stronger we will be when life’s challenges hit us.


Have a great week and enjoy these pictures Sean sent this week, they are always entertaining…

We had a family home evening with some family's in the ward and we played a game that really is a prank on my companion! Its called witchibadichi! You need to guess what part of the face they are thinking and some puts lipstick on their finger and they start making marks on the persons face that doesn't know the game! Its really funny!

They found a dog on a roof of a house!

The dogs of the people they live with!

Their house is on the right!

I guess if you're hungry, you will eat anything?

They found mushrooms on a tree close to their house and Sean thought they were really weird because he never saw them before and the just appeared this week!

Sean was practicing his Karate Kid pose!

A picture of an exercise machine in the parks of Chile!

No comments:

Post a Comment