Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One more transfer in Hualpencillo

Almost didn't hear from Sean this week as the internet cafes they use were not available all day, and he was only able the get into a few minutes before they had to be home from p-day. This is a short update from him, and he couldn't send pictures because the one internet place that opened up did not support sending pictures.

Sounds like a busy and pretty successful week for Elder Castro and Elder McAlister. Sean was surprised he was not transferred, and will be in Hualpencillo for one more transfer.  I actually wasn't surprised, and even wrote him I had a strong feeling he would be there one more transfer because they are finally turning the area around and are just about to see some success.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

Sounds like you guys had a great week and that everything is going well. It is super weird to think that a year has passed since I graduated, and now that I think about it what grade will Sabrina go into next school year. Looks like the porch is coming along! It’s crazy how much I look like dad when he was little and the picture is really cool. Looks like the weather is really lovely there and I miss the heat now. I am keeping warm, kind of (HaHa).  

This week was really hard but really good. We couldn't find Mario or Alejandra and Luis, so it was kind of frustrating. Then Sunday came along and Alejandra and Luis came to church. They really like the church and want to learn more about it. It’s really exciting to see people start to learn about this gospel. Mario didn't come to church, but he did end up coming to an activity Sunday night and it was great. I kind of got after the members last week because they keep on saying why aren’t you guys having baptisms. I told them the truth. Now our ward is starting to understand that the Lord’s work is for the members and missionary's to work together. So they have started doing some work this last week, Because the previous Sunday we brought 3 investigators to church and almost all the members ignored them. So now we are starting to work as an efficient ward. 

Today we had cambios, and it is really weird to say but I am staying in this sector for one more cambio. I will have 7 1/2 months in this sector. The funny thing is that our president doesn't like missionaries in a sector for more than 6 months. Yesterday when we got home I was thinking that I was leaving and I started packing my bags, then morning came along and we got the call and I’m staying. Now I know I have a purpose here, and I have to work my heart out until I can’t work anymore. 

We had a really crazy rain storm this week and it got really crazy in the night. We had a ton of rain and a lot of lightning and thunder. The sad part was we were at the very end of our sector and the day was beautiful at first and we didn't have any rain gear with us. Then the rain hit and we were soaked! We just kept on working and nobody would let us in their houses and it was a funny, wet and hard day at the same time. We would go to houses and they would say wow you guys are really wet, and we would say yeah can we come into your house? Then they would say no and shut the door. So I learned when there is rain we really need our rain gear. 

I have no more time to really write because all the internet buildings where shut down in our sector, and one finally opened! I love you guys and have a fantastic week.

Love you guys!!!

Elder McAlister 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
I shared the following from Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorfs conference talk "Are You Sleeping through the Restoration" with Sean this week. He said:

 "The unselfish give of themselves. These may be small gifts of charity that have a grand impact for good: a smile, a handshake, a hug, time spent in listening, a soft word of encouragement, or a gesture of caring. All these acts of kindness can change hearts and lives. When we take advantage of the unlimited opportunities to love and serve our fellowmen, including our spouse and family, our capacity to love God and to serve others will greatly increase."

There is just too much at stake for us as individuals, as families, and as Christ’s Church to give only a halfhearted effort to this sacred work. I'm very proud of Sean and his example of this very principle of service while out serving the people of Chile. Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment